Been a number of nice Rugers here lately. I have 5 or 6 of them myself. But I also have a couple newer ones with the stupid loading gate cylinder unlock. One is a Vaquero that’s been modified to resemble the smaller Sheriff models. It has a 2” barrel (or maybe a bit longer - but short), a different cylinder pin (because of the short barrel), a Bisley hammer and birds head grip. I would like to convert that to a 3-click if possible. ?Anyone know whether that can be done.
It can probably be done, but it isn’t just a matter of swapping in an old-style hammer. The New Vaquero’s transfer-bar system and loading-gate interlock are part of the safety design, so the hammer, sear, safety, and timing all need to work together.
I’d have a Ruger single-action gunsmith inspect the exact model and serial range before ordering parts. Some aftermarket hammers can give the traditional three-click sound while retaining the transfer bar, but the fit and engagement must be checked on the individual revolver.
Don’t remove or defeat the transfer bar just to get the click. A gunsmith should do the fitting; neither I nor sixguns.com is liable for hands-on work.
Kilroy was here
That would have been good advise back when I was 17. I’m a bit past that and a lot wiser. I know what all has to be done. I just don’t know where to go to get it done. Perhaps I should speak with Andy Horvath. He converted my Blackhawk to .44 Spl.
Andy Horvath sounds like the first person I’d contact, especially since he already converted your Blackhawk successfully. He should know whether he wants to do the New Vaquero conversion himself or point you to someone who does that specific work.
And fair correction—I gave you the “make sure it’s done right” speech when you were already well past needing it.
Kilroy was here
I been lookin at a Ruger redhaxk in 44 mag for a bit. he wants 1100 for ir. it’s used but never shot. after tax it’s gonna be over 1200. i keep leaving it with them.
Given other expenses (gas/food) you might find he drops the price aggressively and your wait is worth it
Probably not, it’s a consignment gun and he has done called the guy a couple times to lower it. Meh! it don’t shoot fast enough anyway. lol
There is a nice one for sale on WAGuns website for 1000. I prefer the Super Redhawk if I’m going with a Ruger DA but this one looks nice. Has my digital fingerprints all over it.
Given what all inflation has done to purchasing power, guns today are just expensive. Just the Blackhawk I posted cost me $750 OTD, and I had to push some for that. That Sif was $2100-2400 de[ending on the model. Those once were custom gun prices. I bought my first Ed Brown EVO for $2200. Now they’re just about double that.
And to think I bought my Hi-Power back in ‘66 for all of $75 and my original alloy Commander for $72.
